Sunday, November 20, 2005

MOIST ORANGE SYRUP CAKE

Citrusy tasting food has always caught my attention, but until now I never really baked anything with oranges (don’t ask me why…), so I thought that I would remediate to this deplorable situation by making this delicious cake!
Basically, this recipe is not too different from it’s close cousin the lemon syrup cake, but taste-wise it has not much in common although both are made with citrus fruits.


If you like moist syrupy cakes, then this one’s for you! It is humid and spongy to please and really tasteful. The recipe is maybe very simple and basic, but the end result is really fantastic. The orange rind brings a bitter and yet almost caramelly flavor to this cake and the syrup adds a little sourness (very light, though) to it’s mellowness. This orange cake is delicately perfumed and is the ideal accompaniment to a good cup of tea!...

This recipe is based upon that from The Australian Women’s Weekly “Quick-Mix Cakes” book and was freely modified and adapted by myself.

Ingredients:
Batter:
90g Unsalted butter
165g Castor sugar
180ml Milk
1Tbs Orange rind, grated
1 Egg (~50g)
225g Plain white flour
1 1/2 Tsp Baking powder
1Tsp Vanilla extract
Syrup:
70ml Orange juice (or 90ml if you only use orange juice)
20ml Lemon juice
85g Castor sugar


Method:
1. Preheat oven at 180°C (350°F) and put a rack in the middle of the oven.
2. In a bowl, put the sugar, orange rind and vanilla extract together with the butter.

3. Cream the mixture until light and fluffy.
4. Add the egg, beating well until totally incorporated.
5. Fold in sifled flour (with the baking powder) and milk gradually. Stir until well combined.
6. Pour the batter into prepared rectangular or round cake tin.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when pushed into the thickiest part of the cake.
8. Stand for about 5 minutes.
9. Meanwhile mixt together the sugar, orange juice and lemon juice. Stir over heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil and remove from heat.
10. Once the 5 minutes have passed, pour syrup evenly over hot cake.
11. Let the cake cool before eating.

Remarks:
Be careful not to grate the rind down to the white inner skin as it is bitter.
If you wish, you can only use orange juice for the syrup.

Serving suggestions:
Eat at any time of the day with tea or coffee.


(Syrup Cake -Pic by www.mkweb.co.uk)
(Moist Orange Syrup Cake -Pic by Rosa www.rosas-yummy-yums.blogspot.com)

(Oranges -Pic by
www.abc.net)

14 comments:

  1. Cela ressemble au "bolo ensopado" portugais. J'adore! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. La recette du "Bolo Ensopado" m'intéresse beaucoup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. testé et approuvé vendredi dernier pour mon anniversaire (depuis le temps qu'il me faisait envie!!). Dommage que le sirop soit allé se planquer sur les bords au lieu d'imbiber tout le gâteau: la prochaine fois, je fais des petits trous au cure-dent avant de verser le sirop! Merci beaucoup Rosa d'avoir posté cette recette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this cake for my Husband's birthday. It was perfect and absolutely delicious! A great recipe, makes a really moist, soft and yummy yummy cake. Thanks Rosa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ORINOCO: You are welcome! Thanks for passing by and for the kind comment! I'm glad you liked that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi rosa..i'm from malaysia..came across ur nice recipe..tried it n voila! it's a keeper, tq for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. JUN: Thanks for passing by and for leaving a comment! I'm glad you liked this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    Tasty cake, we have been enjoying eating it this morning and have added your blog to Twitter, hope you don't mind... http://twitter.com/JordansCereals

    Thank you
    Rachel at Jordans

    ReplyDelete
  9. RACHEL: Thanks for passing by and for leaving a comment! I'm glad you liked that cake! No, I don't mind at all... Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello RosaI am living in Chile for a few months.
    Tonght my husband has invited people for the evening. I am making your cake. Have hand beaten it for hours as we have few electric appliances in our apartment. Now it is in the oven in a makedo cake tin..... I wonder what the final result will be.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  11. ROSIE: Thanks for the kind comment and for visiting my blog! I hope you enjoyed that cake... Cheers, Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good day! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rosa, I just wanted to let you know that I made this cake for mothers' day today. Many years on and your recipe is still going strong! Cheers, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comment and kind words! This cake is really delicious, believe me. ;-) I hope you'll like it. Cheers, Rosa.

    ReplyDelete